July 12, 2008

In an effort to have a real dinner on the table on nights that I work, my husband and I started going to a food prep store. You know, one of those places where they provide all the ingredients and you put the meal together then freeze when you get home. It's definitely cheaper than eating out, but not as cheap as doing it yourself. The one we were using provided nutritional info on their website along with a list of ingredients. I started doing searches listing the ingredients and was able to come up with recipes that I prepared as if I was at one of the prep places - and they were darn good!

This is one of our favorite recipes. I buy the pork chops at Cosco and slice them in have since they are several inches thick! The recipe is easily tripled, so I make up three to four batches to freeze.

-
5 spice powder pork chops


Serving Size: 6


-= Ingredients =-
1/2 cup hoison sauce
6 teaspoons Tbsps. soy sauce
6 teaspoons sherry vinegar
6 teaspoons Honey
3 teaspoons Sesame Oil
3 teaspoons Ginger
4 teaspoons Garlic ; minced
2 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice powder
6 boneless pork chops

-= Instructions =-


Mix all the ingredients except the pork in a ziplock freezer bag. Add the pork chops. Squeeze out as much air as you can and close the bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.

To Prepare: Defost in the fridge overnight - or, keeping the bag sealed, in cold water in a casserole dish on the counter. Once defrosted, transfer to a casserole dish or crockpot. For oven, bake at 350 for 40 minutes. For the crockpot, cook on low for at least 4 hours.

I cannot tell you how easy it is to have these in the freezer. I usually use the crockpot because I leave for work before my husband gets home and this way he has a home cooked, warm meal when he gets home.

Sorry no pics - I'll try and take some then next time I make them.

No comments: